- France is the world’s most popular tourist destination
About 83.7 million visitors arrived in France, according to the World Tourism Organization report published in 2014, making it the world’s most-visited country.
- France is the largest country in European Union, and known as ‘the hexagon’.
It has 551.000 km2 and it’s almost a fifth of EU’s total area. In addition, because of its six-sided shape, France is named ‘the hexagon’.
- France produces over 400 types of cheese.
France has 400 varieties of cheese, though it said it could be closer to 1000 sub varieties of cheese. There are around 40 cheeses that have been awarded the Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée status, which means they can only be produced in a certain region.
- Louis XIX was the king of France for just 20 minutes, the shortest ever reign.
He ascended to the French throne in July 1830 after his father Charles X abdicated, and abdicated himself 20 minutes later in favour of his nephew, the Duke of Bordeaux.
- The guillotine was the official method of execution during French Revolution.
It was invented by a surgeon named Dr. Guillotin. The guillotine claimed the heads of tens of thousands of victims ranging from common criminals to revolutionaries, aristocrats, and even kings and queens including Louis XVI and his wife Marie Antoinette.
- Charles VIII had six toes on one foot.
He hid this fact by wearing and promoting square toe shoes at the end of the 15th century.
- In France, you can marry a dead person.
In exceptional cases and under French law, you can marry a dead person, as long as you can prove that the deceased had the intention of marrying while alive. You also have to receive permission from the French president. The most recent approved case was in 2017, when the partner of a gay policemen gunned down on Champs Elysees by a jihadist was granted permission to marry his partner posthumously.
- France once controlled more than 8% of the world’s land.
From America, Africa to Asia. France biggest colony is in Africa. Nowadays, there are more people speaking French in Africa than in France.
- France is the most depressed country in the world.
1 in 5 people in France has experienced depression. In addition, France is the biggest consumer of mood-altering drugs in Europe. 25% of the adult population consumes one of these drugs: antidepressants, tranquilizers, sleeping pills and anti-psychotic drugs.
- There’s only one stop sign in entire city of Paris.
The lucky one is located at the exit of a building company’s drive, in the 16th arrondissement.